Close Menu
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

No bailout for crypto billionaires

February 19, 2026

TTAP ends Parliament protest, raises concerns over Imran Khan’s health

February 19, 2026

Trump issues glyphosate order; MAHA opposes Roundup chemical

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports
Nabka News
Home » Trump releases overdue funds for NY-NJ Gateway tunnel: Hochul
Political

Trump releases overdue funds for NY-NJ Gateway tunnel: Hochul

i2wtcBy i2wtcFebruary 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard Threads
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


The Gateway Tunnel site near W. 30th St. and 11th Ave. in Hudson Yards, Manhattan on Oct. 23, 2025.

Barry Williams | New York Daily News | Getty Images

The Trump administration on Wednesday released the rest of the funds it had been withholding for the construction of a major rail tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said Wednesday.

The federal government freed up the remaining $98 million due for the Gateway project that is increasing passenger rail capacity into Manhattan, as well as an additional $30 million in reimbursements for work that had been completed in January, Hochul said in a statement.

The frozen funds were released in tranches over nearly two weeks after a federal judge blocked the Trump administration from withholding the money for the project that began construction in 2023. In compliance with that Feb. 6 order, the administration released $30 million on Feb. 13, followed by an additional $77 million earlier this week.

The funding suspension, initiated on the eve of the Oct. 1 government shutdown, this month triggered a total work stoppage that threatened nearly 1,000 employees’ jobs.

Contractors are now being told to prepare to resume construction next week, the Democratic governor said in Wednesday’s statement.

“Today’s progress is significant, but we need certainty that Gateway funding will remain in place for the duration of the project,” Hochul said. “The federal government has a legal obligation to fully fund Gateway, and New York will accept nothing less.”

Read more CNBC politics coverage

Just two days earlier, President Donald Trump had slammed the project as a “future boondoggle,” claiming in a Truth Social post that it will cost “many BILLIONS OF DOLLARS more than projected or anticipated.”

The federal government will not be responsible for any cost overruns associated with the $16 billion project, Trump asserted.

In the same post, he denied reports that he had offered to release Gateway’s federal funding on the condition that New York’s Penn Station be renamed after himself. The station is named for its builder and original occupant — the Pennsylvania Railroad.

“These funds should never have been withheld in the first place,” said New York Attorney General Letitia James, who had sued the Trump administration in conjunction with New Jersey acting Attorney General Jennifer Davenport.

“I am thrilled that hardworking New Yorkers can now get back on the job and move forward with the most important infrastructure project in the country,” James said in a press release. “We will remain vigilant to ensure this funding continues uninterrupted, so that workers and commuters are never again left in limbo by the president’s targeted and unlawful whims.”

The Hudson River tunnel project is the most important piece of the Gateway program, which aims to renovate a slew of public infrastructure in New York and New Jersey.

The existing rail tunnel, known as the North River Tunnel, carries 200,000 passengers under the Hudson every day. It was constructed 116 years ago and was in need of repair even before 2012’s Superstorm Sandy significantly damaged it, officials say.

The Gateway project would fix the existing tunnel and create a new rail tunnel with two tracks connecting to Penn Station.

The federal government and New York and New Jersey are funding the tunnel project. Amtrak has also committed over $1 billion to the project.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
i2wtc
  • Website

Related Posts

Political

No bailout for crypto billionaires

February 19, 2026
Political

Trump issues glyphosate order; MAHA opposes Roundup chemical

February 19, 2026
Political

Trump fans flames of election access as GOP supports voter ID mandate

February 19, 2026
Political

Trump family says U.S. dollar needs an upgrade, and they can do it

February 18, 2026
Political

`Very, very important’ to have crypto rules

February 18, 2026
Political

Trump concerned with potential stench

February 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

House Republicans unveil aid bill for Israel, Ukraine ahead of weekend House vote

April 17, 2024

Prime Minister Johnson presses forward with Ukraine aid bill despite pressure from hardliners

April 17, 2024

Justin Verlander makes season debut against Nationals

April 17, 2024

Tesla lays off 285 employees in Buffalo, New York as part of major restructuring

April 17, 2024
Don't Miss

Trump says China’s Xi ‘hard to make a deal with’ amid trade dispute | Donald Trump News

By i2wtcJune 4, 20250

Growing strains in US-China relations over implementation of agreement to roll back tariffs and trade…

Donald Trump’s 50% steel and aluminium tariffs take effect | Business and Economy News

June 4, 2025

The Take: Why is Trump cracking down on Chinese students? | Education News

June 4, 2025

Chinese couple charged with smuggling toxic fungus into US | Science and Technology News

June 4, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

About Us
About Us

Welcome to NabkaNews, your go-to source for the latest updates and insights on technology, business, and news from around the world, with a focus on the USA, Pakistan, and India.

At NabkaNews, we understand the importance of staying informed in today’s fast-paced world. Our mission is to provide you with accurate, relevant, and engaging content that keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments in technology, business trends, and news events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

No bailout for crypto billionaires

February 19, 2026

TTAP ends Parliament protest, raises concerns over Imran Khan’s health

February 19, 2026

Trump issues glyphosate order; MAHA opposes Roundup chemical

February 19, 2026
Most Popular

Long-stay tourism boom ignites “cool economy” in highlands-Xinhua

July 22, 2025

2025 World AI Conference showcases world’s latest AI advancements-Xinhua

July 28, 2025

Chinese swimming doping scandal rocks Paris Summer Olympics: NPR

April 22, 2024
© 2026 nabkanews. Designed by nabkanews.
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.