Close Menu
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Lahore holds off Ravi surge

August 29, 2025

Pakistan shaping up well, says skipper Salman ahead of tri-series – Sport

August 29, 2025

Lyles, Alfred seal Diamond League statement wins ahead of world championships – Sport

August 29, 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports
Nabka News
Home » As southern China faces floods in 2024, old photos of submerged city resurface
China

As southern China faces floods in 2024, old photos of submerged city resurface

i2wtcBy i2wtcJune 26, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard Threads
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


“Please pray for China as it suffers from severe flooding due to heavy rains,” a Tagalog-language Facebook post shared on June 25, 2024, reads.

The post was accompanied by a photo of a flooded city center and read: “Look! China’s Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region is experiencing heavy rains and severe flooding due to a front, causing severe flooding in many areas.”

The post also included a link that was supposed to take readers to an “actual video” of the floods, but instead led to a landing page for online shopping platform Lazada.

A screenshot of the fake Facebook post taken on June 26, 2024

The post went viral after heavy rains and floods hit southern China, including the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, in June 2024.

At least 38 people have been killed in the densely populated province of Guangdong, where record floods hit some areas, state media said. The provinces of Zhejiang, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan and Guizhou were also affected.

Scientists say climate change will make extreme weather events such as heavy rains more frequent and intense.

The photo was also shared on Facebook, along with other images of the flooding.

However, the photo is old and was not taken in Guangxi.

Typhoons of 2016

A reverse image search on Google and Baidu turned up photos showing floods in Xiamen, a city in southeastern China’s Fujian province, in 2016.

The state-run China Daily and Taiwanese newspaper Liberty Times published photos (archive links here and here) of a flooded intersection after Typhoon Meggie hit mainland China on September 28, 2016.

Typhoon Megi battered China, bringing heavy rain and winds of about 120 kph (75 mph), with more than 300 mm of rainfall in some areas, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

AFP also published photos of the flooding taken from different angles.

Below are screenshots comparing the image shared in the fake post (left) with a photo from AFP’s archive (right), with corresponding elements highlighted by AFP.

Screenshot comparison of the image shared in the fake post (left) and a photo from an AFP archive (right)

The caption of the AFP photo reads: “A road submerged in floodwaters brought by Typhoon Meggie in Xiamen on September 28, 2016.”

AFP has identified the location of the building along with (archive link).

Street View shows a dome on the roof of a grey building, next to a tall white building.

Below is a comparison of the image used in the fake post (left) and a screenshot of Baidu Maps Street View (right).

Comparison of the image used in the fake post (left) and a screenshot of Baidu Maps’ Street View (right)

AFP has previously debunked the flood photos here, here and here.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
i2wtc
  • Website

Related Posts

China

Participants take part in training for V-Day parade in Beijing-Xinhua

August 29, 2025
China

Media center for victory anniversary events opens in Beijing-Xinhua

August 29, 2025
China

Media center for SCO Tianjin Summit opens-Xinhua

August 28, 2025
China

Reviving ancient legends — How mythology powers new wave of Chinese film, gaming innovation-Xinhua

August 28, 2025
China

Regional cooperation on green transition takes spotlight at China-Northeast Asia Expo-Xinhua

August 28, 2025
China

Preparations for China’s V-Day parade basically complete: official-Xinhua

August 28, 2025
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Lahore holds off Ravi surge

August 29, 2025

House Republicans unveil aid bill for Israel, Ukraine ahead of weekend House vote

April 17, 2024

Prime Minister Johnson presses forward with Ukraine aid bill despite pressure from hardliners

April 17, 2024

Justin Verlander makes season debut against Nationals

April 17, 2024
Don't Miss

Trump says China’s Xi ‘hard to make a deal with’ amid trade dispute | Donald Trump News

By i2wtcJune 4, 20250

Growing strains in US-China relations over implementation of agreement to roll back tariffs and trade…

Donald Trump’s 50% steel and aluminium tariffs take effect | Business and Economy News

June 4, 2025

The Take: Why is Trump cracking down on Chinese students? | Education News

June 4, 2025

Chinese couple charged with smuggling toxic fungus into US | Science and Technology News

June 4, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

About Us
About Us

Welcome to NabkaNews, your go-to source for the latest updates and insights on technology, business, and news from around the world, with a focus on the USA, Pakistan, and India.

At NabkaNews, we understand the importance of staying informed in today’s fast-paced world. Our mission is to provide you with accurate, relevant, and engaging content that keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments in technology, business trends, and news events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Lahore holds off Ravi surge

August 29, 2025

Pakistan shaping up well, says skipper Salman ahead of tri-series – Sport

August 29, 2025

Lyles, Alfred seal Diamond League statement wins ahead of world championships – Sport

August 29, 2025
Most Popular

China’s C919 passenger plane celebrates first anniversary of commercial flight: 13 key moments from the first year

May 27, 2024

IMF raises China growth forecast on strong first quarter, policy actions

May 29, 2024

A 35-year-old Chinese man has been named as the mastermind behind a massive botnet that was used to steal billions of dollars from zombie computers.

May 30, 2024
© 2025 nabkanews. Designed by nabkanews.
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.