Close Menu
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladesh prime minister after BNP landslide

February 17, 2026

We may buy more of a stock that has been pulled into the software sell-off

February 17, 2026

Dar heads to US for UNSC briefing, peace board talks

February 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports
Nabka News
Home » Lakers’ Jeanie Buss says dad would have supported sale to Mark Walter
Business

Lakers’ Jeanie Buss says dad would have supported sale to Mark Walter

i2wtcBy i2wtcFebruary 17, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard Threads
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


Jeanie Buss on her family's decision to sell the Lakers: 'It's bittersweet'

Six-time NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers owner Jeanie Buss said new majority owner Mark Walter’s access to capital will help the team best compete with the NBA’s top franchises — and that her late father, Jerry Buss, would have supported the sale.

“What was important to him was that the Lakers stay at the top of the NBA, and to stay at the top of the NBA, you need to have the resources,” Buss said. “You need to have everybody pulling together. And he would want [that for] the Lakers, because the Lakers are his legacy.”

While the NBA has a salary cap that can limit team spend, franchises do have some flexibility if owners are willing to pay a luxury tax. Team spend per season currently ranges from about $154 million to $220 million, with the Lakers seventh overall at $197 million, according to Basketball Reference. Walter has consistently been one of the top spending owners in Major League Baseball since acquiring the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012.

Minority owner Jeanie Buss of the Los Angeles Lakers and her husband, Jay Mohr, prior a first round NBA playoffs game between the Lakers and the Minnesota Timberwolves at Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, April 19, 2025.

Keith Birmingham | MediaNews Group | Pasadena Star-News | Getty Images

Buss and her family agreed to sell their majority stake in the team to Walter last year at a $10 billion valuation. ESPN recently documented significant conflict between the Buss siblings that led to the sale, which Buss called “bittersweet.”

Jerry Buss willed ownership of the team to his six children in a trust when he died in 2013.

“My siblings were involved in the decision that was made,” Jeanie Buss said. “It’s about the Lakers and the greatness and what the fans expect, and you need resources and you need a direction. I think it’s fair to say that my family — we all have our different opinions and [are] living our lives, choosing what we want to do with our time, and this was the best decision for all six of us.”

Jeanie Buss on Lakers sale, partnering with Jordan and LeBron James' future

The Buss family kept about 15% of the team, and Jeanie Buss agreed to stay on as governor for at least five years. Still, when asked if she plans to stay for the full term, Buss seemingly hedged her answer.

“That’s what I agreed to,” Buss said. “Mark Walter and I are very comfortable with the way things are set up. And I expect things to go on and be successful. And you know, I’m not going anywhere.”

Buss acknowledged the past 12 months have been one of transition for the team, given both the sale and the team’s decision to trade star forward Anthony Davis for Luka Dončić about a year ago. Buss said the team’s focus is now on building around Dončić, rather than 41-year-old LeBron James, who has been the face of the team since he joined in 2018.

Luka Dončić, holding jersey, with Los Angeles Lakers head coach JJ Redick, right, and General Manager Rob Pelinka at his introduction.

Harry How | Getty Images Sport | Getty Images

“The partnership will give us the stability to continue to move forward as we build towards a team around Dončić,” Buss said. “We couldn’t be more proud that he is a Laker. He is a young all-star that the fans love to see.”

James said Sunday he’s still unsure whether he’ll play beyond this season. Buss said she’d leave James’ future with the Lakers to James. Still, she sounded doubtful that he would return to the team next season, either because he would retire or because he would choose to play elsewhere.

Get the CNBC Sport newsletter directly to your inbox

The CNBC Sport newsletter with Alex Sherman brings you the biggest news and exclusive interviews from the worlds of sports business and media, delivered weekly to your inbox.

Subscribe here to get access today.

“Never say never, but you know, he certainly hasn’t given an indication,” said Buss. “He’s earned the right to decide how his career will go, and you know, he continues to impress.”

Launching a tequila brand

Buss also discussed her tequila brand, Cincoro, created in 2016 when five friendly competitors met for dinner around an NBA board of governors meetings, bonding over their shared passion for tequila. That group included Buss; then-Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan; Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Wes Edens; and former Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck and his wife, Emilia Fazzalari.

Cincoro tequila founders, from left, Wes Edens, Michael Jordan, Emilia Fazzalari, Jeanie Buss and Wyc Grousbeck.

Source: Cincoro Tequila

“We all had a mutual appreciation for tequila,” Buss said. “And us being a very competitive group, we thought, ‘You know what? We could probably make one better.’ And so, that night, Cincoro was born.”

Jordan, known for being a fierce competitor on the court, isn’t any different behind the scenes and is deeply involved in the business, Buss said.

“I knew he was a tough competitor because his first championship, he beat the Los Angeles Lakers,” she said. “He’s just like that in the boardroom. It’s, ‘Who are we up against? Let’s be better than that. Let’s work harder. Let’s be more creative.'”

Jordan brought in his design team, resulting in a distinctive bottle that Buss called “a work of art.”

“When you work with Michael Jordan, the bar is set high,” she said. “Not just him as a player, but him as a businessman. And we’ve seen he’s been pretty darn successful.”

Cincoro is now a sponsor of the Los Angeles Lakers, and Buss unveiled Tuesday a limited-edition añejo bottle in Lakers purple and gold. Buss said it’s a nod to both the franchise’s championship pedigree and the brand’s premium positioning.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
i2wtc
  • Website

Related Posts

Business

CFTC defends prediction market enforcement as states challenge platforms

February 17, 2026
Business

Ford to follow Tesla Cybertruck with electrical tech in new EV pickup

February 17, 2026
Business

Dave’s Hot Chicken investors bet on birria with new deal

February 17, 2026
Business

Netflix grants WBD 7-day waiver to reopen deal talks with Paramount Skydance

February 17, 2026
Business

Lunar New Year gives brands a chance to win back big spenders in China

February 14, 2026
Business

How package, logistics companies are bringing robots into warehouses

February 13, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

House Republicans unveil aid bill for Israel, Ukraine ahead of weekend House vote

April 17, 2024

Prime Minister Johnson presses forward with Ukraine aid bill despite pressure from hardliners

April 17, 2024

Justin Verlander makes season debut against Nationals

April 17, 2024

Tesla lays off 285 employees in Buffalo, New York as part of major restructuring

April 17, 2024
Don't Miss

Trump says China’s Xi ‘hard to make a deal with’ amid trade dispute | Donald Trump News

By i2wtcJune 4, 20250

Growing strains in US-China relations over implementation of agreement to roll back tariffs and trade…

Donald Trump’s 50% steel and aluminium tariffs take effect | Business and Economy News

June 4, 2025

The Take: Why is Trump cracking down on Chinese students? | Education News

June 4, 2025

Chinese couple charged with smuggling toxic fungus into US | Science and Technology News

June 4, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

About Us
About Us

Welcome to NabkaNews, your go-to source for the latest updates and insights on technology, business, and news from around the world, with a focus on the USA, Pakistan, and India.

At NabkaNews, we understand the importance of staying informed in today’s fast-paced world. Our mission is to provide you with accurate, relevant, and engaging content that keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments in technology, business trends, and news events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladesh prime minister after BNP landslide

February 17, 2026

We may buy more of a stock that has been pulled into the software sell-off

February 17, 2026

Dar heads to US for UNSC briefing, peace board talks

February 17, 2026
Most Popular

Photographer captures elusive snow leopard images in NW China’s Qilian Mountains-Xinhua

August 25, 2025

US automakers such as GM are rapidly losing ground in China

May 6, 2024

(SCO Tianjin Summit) Xi meets Cambodian prime minister-Xinhua

August 30, 2025
© 2026 nabkanews. Designed by nabkanews.
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.