LAHORE:
The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Punjab has issued its latest assessment of the devastation caused by the overflowing Ravi, Sutlej and Chenab rivers, outlining the scale of damage and the ongoing relief efforts.
Relief Commissioner Nabeel Javed said more than 2,308 villages across Punjab had been inundated, affecting 1.516 million people. Of these, 481,000 had been evacuated to safer areas. The provincial administration has set up 511 relief camps providing food and shelter, along with 351 medical camps and 321 veterinary camps. Over 405,000 animals have also been moved to secure locations.
Read: Floods to drive up food prices as crops hit
Hydrological data shows fluctuating flows in the rivers. The Chenab recorded discharges of 111,000 cusecs at Marala, 170,000 at Khanki, 171,000 at Qadirabad and 146,000 at Trimmu.
In the Ravi, flows stood at 78,000 cusecs at Jassar, 138,000 at Shahdara—where levels are receding—and 199,000 at Balloki, where a rise is being observed.
At Sidhnai, inflow measured 32,000 cusecs with an outflow of 18,000. The Sutlej is facing one of the heaviest surges, recording 303,000 cusecs at Ganda Singh Wala and 138,000 at Sulemanki.
Read more: Punjab reels under ‘super floods’
Reservoirs remain under strain, with Mangla Dam at 80 per cent capacity and Tarbela at full. Across the border, Bhakra Dam is 84 per cent full, Pong Dam 94 per cent and Thein Dam 92 per cent.
The disaster has claimed 30 lives in Punjab, including two in Lahore, due to lightning strikes. Torrential rains have worsened conditions, with 81 millimetres recorded in Mandi Bahauddin, 63 in Hafizabad, 50 in Jhelum, 47 in Sialkot, 44 in Bahawalnagar and lower levels across other districts. The PDMA has warned that the current monsoon spell is likely to continue until September 2.
Also Read: Over 72,000 rescued from submerged areas
Floodwaters have entered residential and agricultural areas in Mashiran Wala, Terah Patti and Ahmad Wala after an embankment collapse, submerging hundreds of acres of farmland. In Ahmedpur Sharqia, farmer-built embankments have also given way, with water advancing towards surrounding villages. Authorities have ordered evacuations as erosion poses a growing threat.
NOW: An aerial view currently reveals the devastating impact of floods in Park View City, Lahore, Punjab Pakistan.
Additional: In the past two days, 11 people have lost their lives in Sialkot, Punjab. Across Pakistan, more than 800 people have died since late June. pic.twitter.com/yP22ic5iTA
— Weather Monitor (@WeatherMonitors) August 29, 2025
Multan faces rising danger from the Chenab, where locals have criticised inadequate preparations and relief camps placed away from flood-hit areas.
At Head Muhammadwala, flows are 125,000 cusecs, with 150,000 cusecs at Trimmu expected to reach the area within hours. Drilling is underway at breach points, and controlled use of explosives is under consideration.
In Rajanpur, officials warn of high-level flooding in the Indus, with relief camps established and evacuation operations ongoing.
Senior Provincial Minister Maryam Aurangzeb said all departments had been mobilised under the directives of Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif. She confirmed that 511 relief camps and 351 medical camps were providing 24-hour assistance, while over 68,000 people had been rescued in the last 36 hours using 808 boats.
On the instructions of CM Maryam Nawaz, medical camps have been set up in Punjab’s flood-affected areas where doctors and staff are providing timely treatment, medicines, and basic facilities to the affected people.
📍Lahore 📍Bahawalpur 📍Sargodha pic.twitter.com/i9LoRVmHnX
— PMLN (@pmln_org) August 30, 2025
Once floodwaters recede, she said, the government will launch a crackdown on riverside encroachments and frame a comprehensive flood strategy.
The Pakistan Army has stepped up operations in Jhang, Faisalabad, Chiniot and Toba Tek Singh, using helicopters and boats to evacuate families.
Controlled breaches have been created to divert water downstream, while relief camps, medical aid and drainage work continue. Of 15,800 people trapped in Faisalabad’s villages, more than 14,000 have been rescued.
Chief Secretary Sindh Asif Hyder Shah visited the Provincial Flood Control Room; briefed on water flow at Guddu, Sukkur & Kotri barrages. PDMA & line departments on high alert: tents, blankets, mosquito nets, medicines, mobile health & veterinary teams deployed in flood-hit areas pic.twitter.com/e1OBmQ8KXq
— Sindh Government (@SindhGovtPk) August 30, 2025
Meanwhile, Sindh remains on high alert as floodwaters from Punjab’s rivers are expected to merge at Chahran Sharif before flowing into the province. Authorities expect the deluge to reach Guddu between September 2 and 3.