Close Menu
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Blast in Karachi flat kills teen, leaves two critically burned

February 22, 2026

The next U.S.-Iran talks will be held on Thursday in Geneva, Oman says

February 22, 2026

Terrorist commander, accomplice killed in exchange of fire with CTD Bannu

February 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports
Nabka News
Home » The next U.S.-Iran talks will be held on Thursday in Geneva, Oman says
Political

The next U.S.-Iran talks will be held on Thursday in Geneva, Oman says

i2wtcBy i2wtcFebruary 22, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard Threads
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


Oman’s Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi meets with U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner ahead of the indirect U.S.-Iran talks, in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026.

Oman’s Ministry Of Foreign Aff | Via Reuters

The next round of talks between the United States and Iran will be Thursday in Geneva, Oman’s foreign minister said Sunday, shortly after Tehran’s top diplomat said he expected to meet U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff then.

Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi said on social media he was pleased to confirm the development, “with a positive push to go the extra mile towards finalizing the deal.” Oman previously hosted the indirect talks on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program and facilitated the latest round in Geneva last week.

There was no immediate comment from the White House.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had told CBS in an interview aired Sunday that a “good chance” remained for a diplomatic solution on the nuclear issue, adding it was the only matter being discussed.

The Trump administration has been pushing for concessions from its longtime adversary and has built up the largest U.S. military presence in the Middle East in decades.

President Donald Trump warned on Friday that limited strikes against Iran are possible, even as Araghchi at the time said Tehran expected to have a proposed deal ready in the next few days.

Araghchi told CBS that Iran was still working on the draft proposal. He added that Iran has the right to enrich uranium. On Friday, he said his U.S. counterparts had not asked for zero enrichment as part of the latest round of talks, which is not what U.S. officials have said publicly.

Both Iran and the U.S. have signaled they are prepared for war if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fail.

Minutes after Oman’s confirmation of talks, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on social media that “recent negotiations involved the exchange of practical proposals and yielded encouraging signals. However, we continue to closely monitor U.S. actions and have made all necessary preparations for any potential scenario.”

The U.S. has said Iran cannot have nuclear weapons or the capacity to build them and that it cannot enrich uranium. Tehran has long insisted that any negotiations should only focus on its nuclear program, and that it hasn’t been enriching uranium since U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear sites in June.

Although Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful, the U.S. and others suspect it is aimed at eventually developing weapons.

Talks were deadlocked for years after Trump’s decision in 2018 to unilaterally withdraw the U.S. from Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. Since then, Iran has refused to discuss wider U.S. and Israeli demands that it scale back its missile program and sever ties to armed groups.

New protests in Iran

Confirmation of new talks came as new anti-government protests began in Iran, according to witnesses, as university students in Tehran and another city demonstrated around memorials for thousands of people killed in a crackdown on previous nationwide demonstrations about six weeks ago.

Iran’s state news agency said students protested at five universities in the capital, Tehran, and one in the city of Mashhad on Sunday. The scattered protests erupted Saturday at universities following 40-day memorials for people killed in January during anti-government rallies.

Iran’s government has not commented on the latest protests.

Many Iranians have held ceremonies marking the traditional 40-day mourning period in the past week. Most of the protesters are believed to have been killed around Jan. 8 and 9, according to activists tracking the situation.

Iranians across the country are still reeling with shock, grief and fear after the earlier protests were crushed by the deadliest crackdown ever seen under the rule of 86-year-old Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Thousands of people were killed and tens of thousands are believed to have been arrested.

Although the crackdown tamped down the largest protests, smaller ones are still occurring, according to protesters and to videos shared on social media.

During the 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the shah and brought the Islamic Republic to power, 40-day memorials for slain protesters often turned into rallies that security forces tried to crush, causing new deaths. Those were then marked 40 days later, with new protests.

Posts on social media Saturday and Sunday have alleged that security forces tried to restrict people from attending some 40-day ceremonies.

The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency says at least 7,015 people were killed in the previous protests and crackdown, including 214 government forces. The group has been accurate in counting deaths during previous rounds of unrest in Iran and relies on a network of activists there to verify deaths.

The death toll continues to rise as the group crosschecks information despite disrupted communication with those inside the Islamic Republic.

Iran’s government offered its only death toll from the previous protests on Jan. 21, saying 3,117 people were killed. Iran’s theocracy in the past has undercounted or not reported fatalities from past unrest.

The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll, given authorities have disrupted internet access and international calls in Iran.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
i2wtc
  • Website

Related Posts

Political

Armed man killed trying to enter Trump Mar-a-Lago club

February 22, 2026
Political

U.S. airlines warn of pause in TSA PreCheck and Global Entry programs

February 22, 2026
Political

Trump approves disaster assistance for sewage spill into Potomac River

February 21, 2026
Political

JPMorgan concedes it closed Trump’s accounts after Jan. 6 attack

February 21, 2026
Political

Trump to hike global tariffs to 15% from 10%, ‘effective immediately’

February 21, 2026
Political

Trump announces 10% global tariff after raging over Supreme Court loss

February 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

House Republicans unveil aid bill for Israel, Ukraine ahead of weekend House vote

April 17, 2024

Prime Minister Johnson presses forward with Ukraine aid bill despite pressure from hardliners

April 17, 2024

Justin Verlander makes season debut against Nationals

April 17, 2024

Tesla lays off 285 employees in Buffalo, New York as part of major restructuring

April 17, 2024
Don't Miss

Trump says China’s Xi ‘hard to make a deal with’ amid trade dispute | Donald Trump News

By i2wtcJune 4, 20250

Growing strains in US-China relations over implementation of agreement to roll back tariffs and trade…

Donald Trump’s 50% steel and aluminium tariffs take effect | Business and Economy News

June 4, 2025

The Take: Why is Trump cracking down on Chinese students? | Education News

June 4, 2025

Chinese couple charged with smuggling toxic fungus into US | Science and Technology News

June 4, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

About Us
About Us

Welcome to NabkaNews, your go-to source for the latest updates and insights on technology, business, and news from around the world, with a focus on the USA, Pakistan, and India.

At NabkaNews, we understand the importance of staying informed in today’s fast-paced world. Our mission is to provide you with accurate, relevant, and engaging content that keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments in technology, business trends, and news events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Blast in Karachi flat kills teen, leaves two critically burned

February 22, 2026

The next U.S.-Iran talks will be held on Thursday in Geneva, Oman says

February 22, 2026

Terrorist commander, accomplice killed in exchange of fire with CTD Bannu

February 22, 2026
Most Popular

Foreign brands benefit from China’s consumption stimulus-Xinhua

March 25, 2025

Artificial intelligence fuels China’s high-quality growth-Xinhua

March 30, 2025

Time-honored Chinese embroidered balls fly from Guangxi to the world-Xinhua

April 5, 2025
© 2026 nabkanews. Designed by nabkanews.
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.