Close Menu
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

OpenAI resets spend expectations, targets around $600 billion by 2030

February 20, 2026

PHF interim chief vows to restore hockey’s glory, lifts ban on captain Ammad Butt

February 20, 2026

Blue Owl software lending triggers another quake in private credit

February 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
Nabka News
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • China
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Political
  • Tech
  • Trend
  • USA
  • Sports
Nabka News
Home » West Portal business owners speak out against new road safety plan
Business

West Portal business owners speak out against new road safety plan

i2wtcBy i2wtcApril 24, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard Threads
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


After last month’s fatal crash that killed four members of a family at a bus stop in San Francisco’s West Portal neighborhood, city officials quickly launched a plan to make intersections safer.

The entire family – Diego Cardoso de Oliveira and Matilde Ramos Pinto, their 2-year-old son Joaquín and toddler Caue Ramos Pinto de Oliveira – all suffered serious injuries and died. On March 16, he was hit by an SUV while waiting at a bus stop at Ulloa Street and Lenox Way.

Last week, San Francisco Department of Transportation Director Jeffrey Tumlin, San Francisco Supervisor Myrna Melgar, and Project Supervisor Liz Brisson took to the stage. announced an improvement plan for the area.

But the redesign is now facing pushback from local business owners who fear it will hurt profits.

“I grew up in West Portal, and my home is still in West Portal,” Mario Mogannam said. “Past President of the West Portal Merchants Association.”

Mogannum’s Postal Chase is located in the heart of the Western Portal. And while reeling from the tragedy that happened just around the corner, his business is among those calling for a moratorium on the proposed changes to the intersection.

“I’m telling everyone to take a step back,” Moganan explained. “Take a deep breath. Let’s talk. These things we’re doing for our community are going to last a long time.”

“There are three problems here,” said Lisa Moore, owner of nearby Siren Boutique. “It’s a public safety issue. Then there’s the issue of beautifying the area and making it more welcoming. And then there’s the issue of impact on small businesses.”

Moore isn’t convinced the plan will necessarily improve safety. Then there’s the timetable.

“We care very much about public safety, and of course, our employees, our customers, and my children who live and work in this area,” Moore said. “We feel that this proposal was basically put forward after it had already been decided that it would come true, and now we hear that we have been given 10 days to discuss it. .”

“We take the needs of our merchants very seriously,” Tumlin said at a meeting to discuss the changes. “That’s one of the reasons why we tried to limit motorists who simply detour through the commercial district to reduce collisions at the Ulloa and West Portal intersection. Cut through the commercial district.”

SFMTA We published the redesign last week., based on years of research here. We are currently seeking feedback. Opponents have launched their own feedback campaign, asking neighbors to voice their concerns. Signs are already posted in the windows of businesses up and down the street.

“Everyone should be prepared to ask real questions,” Mogannam said of the changes. “And the city needs to find a workable answer.”

District Supervisor Melgar has already spoken out in support of the change, as have bicycle and pedestrian advocates. SFMTA continues to seek input. They plan to hold another voting session in the area during Wednesday night’s commute.

More from CBS News

wilson walker

Wilson Walker joined KPIX 5 in July 2007. After producing news programs for 10 years, Wilson became a multimedia journalist (MMJ) in 2012. That means he shoots, writes, and edits all his articles himself.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email WhatsApp Copy Link
i2wtc
  • Website

Related Posts

Business

Blue Owl software lending triggers another quake in private credit

February 20, 2026
Business

Supreme Court Trump tariff decision: Retail industry reacts

February 20, 2026
Business

After Supreme Court ruling, industries still face higher rates

February 20, 2026
Business

After Supreme Court ruling, industries still face higher rates

February 20, 2026
Business

Equinox’s $40,000-a-year Optimize membership has a waiting list

February 20, 2026
Business

Tax season presents boom-or-bust test

February 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

House Republicans unveil aid bill for Israel, Ukraine ahead of weekend House vote

April 17, 2024

Prime Minister Johnson presses forward with Ukraine aid bill despite pressure from hardliners

April 17, 2024

Justin Verlander makes season debut against Nationals

April 17, 2024

Tesla lays off 285 employees in Buffalo, New York as part of major restructuring

April 17, 2024
Don't Miss

Trump says China’s Xi ‘hard to make a deal with’ amid trade dispute | Donald Trump News

By i2wtcJune 4, 20250

Growing strains in US-China relations over implementation of agreement to roll back tariffs and trade…

Donald Trump’s 50% steel and aluminium tariffs take effect | Business and Economy News

June 4, 2025

The Take: Why is Trump cracking down on Chinese students? | Education News

June 4, 2025

Chinese couple charged with smuggling toxic fungus into US | Science and Technology News

June 4, 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

About Us
About Us

Welcome to NabkaNews, your go-to source for the latest updates and insights on technology, business, and news from around the world, with a focus on the USA, Pakistan, and India.

At NabkaNews, we understand the importance of staying informed in today’s fast-paced world. Our mission is to provide you with accurate, relevant, and engaging content that keeps you up-to-date with the latest developments in technology, business trends, and news events.

Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

OpenAI resets spend expectations, targets around $600 billion by 2030

February 20, 2026

PHF interim chief vows to restore hockey’s glory, lifts ban on captain Ammad Butt

February 20, 2026

Blue Owl software lending triggers another quake in private credit

February 20, 2026
Most Popular

Punk-cute Labubu builds global emotional bridges, one grin at a time-Xinhua

June 12, 2025

Drone light show in China’s Chongqing aims to set new Guinness world record-Xinhua

June 18, 2025

Tianjin’s landmarks illuminated at night to welcome guests for 2025 Summer Davos forum-Xinhua

June 23, 2025
© 2026 nabkanews. Designed by nabkanews.
  • Home
  • About NabkaNews
  • Advertise with NabkaNews
  • DMCA Policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Contact us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.